Friday, February 19, 2010

peace and comfort

Happy Friday! Thanks so much for all the kind comments on my selvage quilt top. Now that the top is finished, it's on to thinking about the quilting. I always have to THINK alot about how to quilt something.
blocks made by Rossie
I'm going to switch to something a bit simpler, but just as beautiful. It's my month in the Common Threads quilt bee. I was inspired by a few things to start this quilt. During the rush to help Haiti, I saw a 'red cross' quilt that was donated to Craft Hope by Susie Swan that sold in seconds...I wanted that quilt. Then I stumbled on this quilt on flickr. Stunning.

I did a little research on red cross quilts and they have an interesting history, so I decided I wanted to make one of my own and decided to involve my bee buddies.

I sent a couple of different background fabrics, a bunch of red, and a few black scraps. The blocks will be 6.5" and the instructions were pretty open...as long as it reads like a cross. Even with such a simple shape, there are lots of possibilities. I love Rossie's blocks that are pictured above. You can see more of the blocks that have been made here. Until I get my machine back, I'm limited to piecing, so I thought this would be a good project for me.

17 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

This is going to be so striking!

I have a couple quilt tops to quilt too. But I have pretty much zero experience quilting on my own machine, so I have to think a lot about what I am going to do too!!

em's scrapbag said...

This will make a stunning quilt.
Trying to figure out quilting is always a struggle for me too. FYI we made your hearts yesterday at quilt guild. Lots of fun There is a pic. Wish I would have taken more pictures. Not good at teaching, conducting, photography all in the same meeting I guess.

Rossie said...

i thought they looked familiar! I tend to start thinking about how to quilt something almost as soon as I have the patchwork in mind. just sent an email this morning to a local to long arm-er about the feasibility of a plan I have for a quilt that's not even half-way pieced. : )

Millie said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt. I have seen a pink cross quilt before, but I love the red. Your selvage quilt is beautiful too.

Victoria said...

Yes, I am with you... a lot of thinking goes before the first stitch is quilted. As for the red cross quilts, they have always fascinated me, but I know very little about them... your post makes me want to learn more!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Looks great to me! I love the boldness of the red against the neutral background. It will be very stunning I'm sure!

Anina said...

I love this. Do I really need another project?

Rebekah said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I'm putting your blocks together this weekend

Jennifer said...

Those are such striking blocks! I can't wait to see how you quilt this one... your quilting is always so original.

Jennifer :)

henny said...

Looks great, Jacquie!
Love the simple pattern and colors. You must have something simple too for quilting it. Can't wait to see!

Vicki said...

cool... a red cross quilt will be wonderful! I remember seeing that one on flickr way back when.

Sue-Anne said...

Hi, What a great blog, so glad I found it. Love the red crosses - only trouble is, now I want to make one. I love your selvege quilt too. Lots of colour and memories of great fabrics.

Kate said...

This is so beautiful.Red and white look so striking together!

MightyMom said...

on quilting that spiderweb quilt.

I would do lines radiating out from the center of each "web" of selvages....

Jennifer said...

So now I know the source of all of the views of my Flickr photo in recent days. :-) Thanks for sharing the link with your blog readers. What a fun idea.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

nice blocks.. i like the idea behind the quilt and it should be interesting to see what blocks people make...

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I need your advice on a quilt top I made this weekend. It needs something special.